2020 Home Opener Moved to Thursday, September 3rd
The Panthers’ 2020 football campaign will now begin on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:00pm against the Murray State Racers, Georgia State Athletics announced Wednesday. Previously scheduled for the following Saturday, September 5th, the 2020 home opener will be the second meeting between the two teams. The Racers defeated the Panthers 48-24 in their first trip to Atlanta in 2011.
According to the school’s press release, the game will be broadcast on a to-be-determined ESPN platform. All 2019 home football games aired on either ESPN+, ESPNU or ESPN3.
With this date change, the Panthers will play on Thursday evenings three times in the 2020 season. The full 2020 football schedule now stands as follows:
- Murray State – Thursday, September 3rd 7:00pm
- @Alabama – Saturday, September 12th TBD
- Louisiana* – Saturday, September 19th TBD
- @Charlotte – Saturday, September 26th TBD
- East Carolina – Saturday, October 3rd TBD
- @Arkansas State* – Thursday, October 15th TBD
- @Troy* – Saturday, October 24th TBD
- Coastal Carolina* – Thursday, October 29th TBD
- UL Monroe* – Saturday, November 7th TBD
- @Appalachian State* – Saturday, November 14th 2:30pm
- @South Alabama* – Saturday, November 21st TBD
- Georgia Southern* – Saturday, November 28th TBD
Asterisk* denotes Sun Belt Conference game. Home games in bold.
Concerns continue to mount regarding the safety of sporting events and large gatherings in the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic. The university at large released its mitigation plan earlier this month, and plans to host classes both on campus and online in a modified hybrid enrollment scheme intended to reduce viral transmission risks. We expect additional information regarding policies and game-day event changes to be announced in the near future. Keep it locked to THERSdayNight.com for updates.