Panthers Add 14 in Early Signing Period
Photo: Jordan Crawford for THERSdayNight.com
Georgia State head coach Shawn Elliott welcomed in a new class of Panthers from across the southeast when 14 high school athletes signed their national letters of intent to play for Georgia State on Wednesday, December 16, the start of this year’s early signing period. The newest Panthers are:
- WR Jaylin Tolbert: 6’3”, 200lbs, from Greenwood, SC
- DE Omarion Hammond: 6’3”, 250lbs, from Columbia, SC
- SS Makkah Jordan: 5’10”, 180lbs, from St Petersburg, FL
- NT Fuches “Deuce” Lewis II: 6’3”, 290lbs, from Savannah, GA
- LB Jordan Jones: 6’0”, 210lbs, from Smiths Station, AL
- CB Tony McCray Jr: 5’11”, 170lbs, from Clarksdale, MS
- DE Tylon Dunlap: 6’1”, 245lbs, from Charlotte, NC
- OL Marquez Bargman: 6’3”, 285lbs, from Port St Lucie, FL
- LB Christopher Davis Jr: 6’3”, 215lbs, from Tampa, FL
- RB Jaquan “Jay” Dixon: 5’11”, 175lbs, from Loris, SC
- OL Montavious Cunningham: 6’3”, 285lbs, from Athens, GA
- OLB/DE Jamarion “JT” Ellis: 6’2”, 240lbs, from Eastman, GA
- OLB Evan Graham: 6’1”, 225lbs, from St Petersburg, FL
- CB Brylan Lanier: 6’1, 170lbs, from Tuscaloosa, AL
Coach Elliott started off his remarks on the early signees by saying, “It’s been a really special day, adding 14 individuals to our roster in this 2021 signing class for us – 14 individuals, 10 defensive players and four offensive players. It’s always an exciting time when you’re preparing for a bowl game and having a signing day all in the same week. Some people think it gets pretty hectic, but it’s a pretty fun day around here, a great time to welcome in a new bunch of Georgia State Panthers.”
On the new additions, Coach Elliott specifically mentioned he was “[v]ery, very pleased with the depth that we’ve added on defense and the playmakers that we’ve added on offense and the two interior guys we’ve added on the offensive line. He went on, “We’re looking to move this program forward each and every day, but it all starts with these players and we think we’ve got a great bunch.”
On the overall makeup of the class, Coach Elliott said, “We have added the speed, I think we’ve added the…not the weaknesses we have, but to continue to build our program, I think we’ve addressed those issues. And I think we continue moving forward with better and better athletes each year.”
There are two connections close to home for the Georgia State program within this signing class. RB Jaquan Dixon played at Coach Elliott’s parents’ high school, Green Sea Floyds HS in Green Sea, SC, while WR Jaylin Tolbert went to the same high school as current Panthers star wideout Sam Pinckney, Greenwood HS in Greenwood, SC.
FBS recruits can still sign in the early period until this Friday, December 18. After that point, they will have to wait until the spring National Signing Day on February 3, 2021, when the remainder of Georgia State’s 2021 recruiting class is expected to sign.
Welcome to Atlanta, #WinTheBATL21!
Information on the signees courtesy of Georgia State Athletics’ release.